Job Interview Afterthoughts
If you got all the interviews and job offers that you wanted, then great, enjoy your new job!
But, what should you do if everything isn't going as expected and what can you do about it.
Below, you'll find out what to do if you aren't winning the job interviews and job offers that you wanted.
Are you failing to get as many job interviews as you expected?
If you don't secure as many job interviews as you wanted, then the most likely culprit is a poor CV, which is letting you down.
If you already have a professional CV and you're still struggling to get interviews, then consider the following:
- Are you lacking crucial experience or skills that the employer has included in their job advert? (Make sure that you are applying for jobs where you match the employer's criteria.)
- Do you have all the relevant qualifications and training listed on the job advert? (If you don't, then you can't really expect to get an interview.)
- Are there specific 'problems / issues' that may cause the employer to reject your application? (If so, talk this over with a CV writer, who can ensure that these 'problems / issues don't ruin your CV's chances of winning job interviews.)
- Do you have unrealistic salary expectations? (You may need to lower your expectations.)
- Are your CV and cover letter tailored to each specific job vacancy that you are applying for? (The more closely you match an employer's criteria, the more likely you are to be invited to a job interview).
Getting job interviews, but not the job offers you want?
If you aren't getting the job offers you sought, then you must try and identify where the problem is. There could be a number of problems / issues, for example:
- Are you struggling to answer tough interview questions?
- Do you lack the skills and experience that the employer is seeking?
- Have you all the qualifications and training that the employer expects?
- Is the employer picking up on some 'problem area', which is ruling you out?
- Are your salary expectations realistic?
- Have your interview nerves got the better of you?
- Do you lack confidence when you get to the interview?
- Are there some aspects of the interview process that you find difficult?
How to get more job offers
- Ask for feedback from the interviewer: Where did your interview performance let you down?
- When you have received feedback from an interviewer you need to act upon it, so that you can improve your interview performance.
- Carefully analyse the feedback that you have been given, identifying what you need to change.
Need to improve your interview performance?
If you need help with any aspect of the interview, then please see our:
- Interview Coaching Services - we can ensure that your interview performance will win you the job offers that you deserve.
For other pages, please see:
- Want to improve your interview success rate? Our Interview Coaching can dramatically improve your chances of securing a job
- FREE Reports: How to dramatically improve your CV, salary negotiation tips, job hunting secrets
- Need to improve your CV? Click here to learn how a professional CV writing service can dramatically improve your chances of securing an interview
- Professional CV Writers
- Psychometric Test - find out the interview questions that will catch you out and how to answer them
- General tips / advice
- Interview questions
- Salary negotiations
- What questions should ask your interviewer?
- Interview thank you letters
- Group interview tests
- Panel interviews
- Body language
- Interview problems